GOP rep on Trump's tweets: 'We're going to hand the gavel to Pelosi'

Source: The Hill | June 9, 2017 | John Bowden

GOP Rep. Martha McSally (Ariz.) recently voiced concerns about Republicans losing the House to Democrats due to controversy surrounding President Trump’s administration, according to a report from Tuscon Weekly.

In a private speech to the Arizona Bankers Association last week, McSally fretted that Trump’s tweets are creating “distractions” that “it’s basically being taken out on me.”

“Any Republican member of Congress, you are going down with the ship,” McSally said, according to the report. “And we’re going to hand the gavel to Pelosi in 2018, they only need 23 seats and the path to that gavel being handed over is through my seat.”

McSally said that voters don’t care about incumbents but are focused on voting Republicans out of office. Polls have generally shown Republicans losing to generic Democratic candidates.

“Right now, it doesn’t matter that it’s me, it doesn’t matter what I’ve done. I have an ‘R’ next to my name and right now, this environment would have me not prevail,” McSally told the bankers, according to Tuscon Weekly.

“There’s just an element out there that’s just, like, so against the president,” McSally said.

“And all of a sudden on Jan. 20, I’m like his twin sister to them. And I’m, like, responsible for everything he does, and tweets and says. And they want me to be spending my time as a pundit. ‘I disagree with that. I agree with this.’ I have a job in the legislature.”

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.