GOP state lawmaker says he would like 'to see more people' get coronavirus to build herd immunity

Source: The Hill | July 10, 2020 | Marina Pitofsky

Alabama state Sen. Del Marsh (R) this week told reporters that he would “like to see more people” contract COVID-19 in order to create herd immunity in the state.

Marsh was asked about Alabama setting a new daily record for COVID-19 cases after the state reported 2,164 cases on Thursday.

“I’m not as concerned as much as the number of cases — and in fact, quite honestly — I want to see more people, because we start reaching an immunity as more people have it and get through it,” Marsh said.

“I don’t want any deaths, as few as possible in the state, I get it. So those people who are susceptible to the disease, especially more serious, those with pre-existing conditions, elderly population, those folks, we need to do all we can to protect them. But I’m not concerned.” 

Marsh added that he wants “to make sure everybody can receive care.”

……..

The approach has been used by Sweden amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The country has kept many businesses open and encouraged social distancing and other health measures to prevent the spread of the virus. However, thousands more people have died in the country than in neighboring countries that imposed stricter lockdowns, The New York Times reported.

Sweden has also suffered a higher death rate than other countries.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #40958

ConservativeGranny #40967

Herd immunity with COVID is in doubt. Some preliminary studies from China suggest that immunity could last only 2-3 months and is shorter in patients who were asymptomatic. Dr. Fauci has said that ‘It is unlikely that a COVID-19 vaccine with 70-75% efficacy taken by two-thirds of Americans can provide herd immunity to the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.” Estimates are that we would experience at least 500 million deaths before we would reach herd immunity. With immunity to this virus in question that is unacceptable to me. However right now it seems that is what the administration is shooting for. They just haven’t admitted it yet. At any rate, it wouldn’t help Trump’s re-election campaign.

With this still unknown deliberately exposing people to such a dangerous virus is not only ignorant and foolish but immoral. Politicians should be leaving things to the experts and following their advice. Instead they are listening and following Donald Trump. There may indeed be revolt and unrest but it may be because so many are sick and dying while our government does nothing but making it worse.

Good article about herd immunity and covid here:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/vaccine-reach-herd-immunity-scientists/story?id=71662733

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.