House gives final OK to Biden’s $1.9T Covid aid plan

Source: Politico | March 10, 2021 | Sarah Ferris

The 220-211 vote came after conservatives snarled floor consideration Wednesday morning.

The House on Wednesday approved a $1.9 trillion relief package for the pandemic-ravaged economy, delivering President Joe Biden’s first legislative achievement after a frenzied eight-week sprint in Congress.

The bill — which some Democrats say will become the most progressive law in generations — passed with zero Republican votes, while Maine Rep. Jared Golden was the only member of Biden’s party to vote no. While Democrats say the funds are badly needed to revive a pandemic-ravaged economy, GOP leaders blasted the bill as a spending frenzy that goes far beyond coronavirus recovery.

“We heard from the American people and we went big,” House Ways and Means Chair Richard Neal (D-Mass.) said on the House floor Wednesday. “In the 33 years I have served in this House, I don’t know that I will cast a more important vote.”

Biden is expected to sign the bill on Friday, aiming to prevent millions of Americans from losing boosted unemployment benefits that are set to expire over the weekend. The Democrats’ measure replenishes that $300-a-week jobless aid through Sept. 6.

The sweeping plan includes public health measures, including billions of dollars to shore up vaccinations and help reopen schools. It also includes a once-in-a-generation expansion of federal safety net programs, including a child tax benefit that amounts to a guaranteed income for families with children.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.