Incoming national security adviser calls for immediate release of Kremlin critic Navalny

Source: The Hill | January 17, 2021 | John Bowden

President-elect Joe Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, called on the Kremlin to free Russian dissident Alexei Navalny on Sunday after Navalny was detained almost immediately upon his return to the country.

In a tweet, Sullivan wrote that the assassination attempt on Navalny last year was an “outrageous attack” and said that Navalny should be “immediately released.”

The Russian opposition leader was taken into custody Sunday upon arriving in Moscow from Berlin, where he was recovering from an almost-fatal poisoning that Navalny and his supporters say had been ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

…….

Navalny said in an Instagram post last week that threats of his arrest were an attempt by Putin to discourage his return.

“Putin is stamping his feet demanding to do everything so that that I don’t return home,” Navalny said Wednesday. “The people who tried to kill me got offended because I survived and now they are threatening to put me behind bars.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.