Mark Meadows: Trump 'not being well served' by vowing to 'fight' Freedom Caucus

Source: Washington Examiner | March 30, 2017 | Al Weaver

The chairman of the House Freedom Caucus argued Thursday that President Trump is “not being well served” by attacking members of the group after they broke with the GOP over healthcare reform last week.

Chairman Mark Meadows, R-N.C., said in an hour-long interview with the Washington Examiner Thursday afternoon that he was “surprised” by Trump’s tweet from Thursday morning, in which he vowed to “fight” Freedom Caucus members in the 2018 midterm elections. But both Meadows and Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, the group’s former leader, they still hope to works with Trump and revive the chances to overhaul the U.S. healthcare system.

“I was surprised by the tweet,” Meadows said. “The president is a leader. He is a negotiator. He is someone who believes that, at this point, the Freedom Caucus is holding up his agenda. He’s not being well served in that.”

“The narrative is not surprising in the White House because I think some of his advisers are suggesting that it was consensus that we pulled the rug out from underneath the president’s agenda and nothing could be further from the truth,” Meadows said. “But that being said, I don’t take it personally.”

Jordan also downplayed the fight by saying there’s still time to make changes to the bill that he said would help “fix” the legislation so it does what Republicans promised to do: change the bill in a way that lowers premiums for people.

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.