NY mayor condemns ‘antisemitism being spewed at and around’ Columbia U.

Source: The Hill | April 22, 2024 | Sarah Fortinsky

New York City Mayor Eric Adams (D) condemned the “antisemitism being spewed at and around the Columbia University campus” in a statement Sunday, pointing to a number of examples of what he described as “hate speech” against Jews.

“I am horrified and disgusted with the antisemitism being spewed at and around the Columbia University campus,” Adams said, “like the example of a young woman holding a sign with an arrow pointing to Jewish students stating ‘Al-Qasam’s Next Targets,’ or another where a woman is literally yelling ‘We are Hamas,’ or another where groups of students are chanting ‘We don’t want no Zionists here.’”

“I condemn this hate speech in the strongest of terms,” he continued. “Supporting a terrorist organization that aims to kill Jews is sickening and despicable. As I have repeatedly said, hate has no place in our city.”

……..

Adams said on Sunday he has instructed the NYPD “to investigate any violation of law that is reported,” and said officers will “not hesitate to arrest anyone who is found to be breaking the law.”

He made clear, however, that the NYPD only responds when there is a specific request by senior university officials, noting Columbia is a private campus.

He said there is an “increased presence” of NYPD officers around campus “to protect students and all New Yorkers on nearby public streets,” adding that officials stand ready to respond if another request is made by the university, such as last week, “when the NYPD successfully cleared encampments on Columbia’s South Lawn without any injuries.”

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #60454

Consistent #60455

Consistent #60459

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.