Pa. Police Officer Picks Up the Tab for Couple That Refused to Sit Next to Him

Source: ABC News | July 12, 2016 | Catherine Thorbecke

A Pennsylvania police officer picked up the tab for a couple that refused to sit next to him and his fellow officers at a local diner, and a post about his encounter on social media has garnered attention at a time of strained police-community relations.

Officer Chuck Thomas of the Homestead Police Department told ABC News today that he and three other officers sat down for dinner at the Eat n’ Park restaurant last Friday, the day after a shooter in Dallas killed five police officers and injured 11 other people.

“A male and female were going to be seated across from us, and he said, ‘I don’t want to sit there,'” Thomas said, “which drew my attention, and we made eye contact, and his body language just told me that he wanted nothing to do with police.”

“I looked over at him and said, ‘You don’t have to worry about it. We won’t hurt you,'” Thomas said. “He said, ‘No, I’m good. I don’t want to sit there.'”

….

He said, “We get stuff like this all the time, and you brush it off,” but he felt like reaching out after what happened in Dallas.

Thomas said that he wanted to leave the two a note but was unsure how to go about doing so and then decided to pick up their check and scribble a message on the receipt. He wrote that he paid for their dinner and thanked them for their support. He also left a $10 tip.

….

Thomas said that he paid the tab while he was on his way out and that the server later told him the couple was “thrown back by it” and ended up “chuckling.”

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #7920

slhancock1948 #7931

Nice story…and I’m glad the policeman was so gracious to do more than just leave a note. It is hard to hit back against such an act of graciousness without looking like you are a real heel, or worse.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.