Pelosi, first woman speaker, to depart Dem leadership in seismic shift

Source: Politico | November 17, 2022 | Sarah Ferris

Nancy Pelosi, a legislative giant regarded as one of the most powerful speakers in modern U.S. history, announced Thursday she will forgo another run for Democratic leadership but retain her House seat.

Nancy Pelosi, a legislative giant regarded as one of the most powerful speakers in modern U.S. history, announced Thursday she will forgo another run for Democratic leadership but retain her House seat.

“I will not seek reelection to Democratic leadership in the next Congress,” Pelosi said on the floor.

Since she reclaimed the gavel in 2018, the first woman speaker had planned to step down from leadership after this term. However, she has said her decision was made more complicated by the brutal assault of her husband last month. Then, the Democrats’ better-than-expected midterm election prompted calls for her to stay, including from President Joe Biden and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

……..

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #56623

Consistent #56624

Consistent #56625

Consistent #56630

Consistent #56631

EVERYDAY #56632

I’ve never been a “fan” of Mirs. Pelosi, but she has been a dynamo in getting legislation done and passed. Think to when Donny owned both houses of congress. No legislation beneficial to the American people was passed. Of course, Trump and the GOP had no real interest in working for the American people.

My guess is that even though Mrs. Pelosi won’t be Speaker or Minority Leader, she will remain influential to her colleagues as they grapple with the insane Republican majority.

So all the best to Mrs. Pelosi as she steps back from her leadership role.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.