Pentagon: Russia intentionally violating Syria conflict agreement

Source: The Hill | December 21, 2017 | Ellen Mitchell

The Defense Department is accusing Russia of intentionally violating an agreement meant to avoid military accidents in the skies over Syria following an incident last week involving U.S. and Russian fighter jets.

“Russia is failing to genuinely de-conflict airspace in Syria. Some of these incidents are not mistakes,” Pentagon chief spokeswoman Dana White told CNN on Thursday.

“We are working to address this issue at the highest levels.”

Two U.S. F-22 fighter jets last week intercepted two Russian Su-25 attack jets and fired warning flares after the Russian aircraft flew east of the Euphrates River. The river has been designated as a deconfliction line as it separates Russian and U.S.-led coalition forces operating in the country.

Russian and U.S. military officials agreed last month to fly on opposite sides of a 45-mile portion of the river in an effort to prevent in air collisions, but the Russians have violated the agreement half a dozen times, according to U.S. commanders.

Defense Secretary James Mattis last week said the deconfliction line was still up, and it was unclear why the Russians were violating the agreement.

“I don’t know if this is a mistake … I don’t expect perfection, but I don’t expect dangerous maneuvers, either. And so we’ll sort this out,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon.

“Right now, I cannot tell you if it’s sloppy airmanship, or a rambunctious pilot, or people who are trying to do something that was very unwise,” Mattis added.

…….

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #20533

Consistent #20534

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.