Pete Buttigieg chosen as Biden's Transportation secretary

Source: Politico | December 15, 2020 | Tyler Pager and Sam Mintz

Buttigieg’s landing spot comes as a surprise given his thin transportation policy resume.

President-elect Joe Biden will nominate former Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg to be Transportation secretary, according to three people familiar with the decision.

Buttigieg’s ascension to the top spot at DOT marks the culmination of a meteoric rise in politics over the last two years from the mayor of South Bend, Ind., to the first openly gay Cabinet secretary, if he is confirmed.

……..

Buttigieg, 38, wanted to serve as the ambassador to the United Nations, a position that went to Linda Thomas-Greenfield, and he was also considered for Commerce secretary. But Buttigieg has a limited political future in his home state of Indiana, and Buttigieg supporters were hopeful Biden would give the mayor a high-profile spot to gain more experience and bolster his big political ambitions.

If confirmed, Buttigieg will head to Washington to take responsibility for nearly 55,000 employees, an $87 billion budget and more than a dozen administrations, overseeing the nation’s airspace, highway system, pipeline safety and much more.

……..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45461

Consistent #45462

Consistent #45463

Consistent #45464

EVERYDAY #45466

Pres. Biden is doing what most of his predecessors have done. Usually, these nominations are rewards for family, friends, donors, frat brothers and golfing buddies. Trump was a master practitioner, and his picks usually were terrible in their jobs. Not sure what Pres. Biden’s motive is for nominating Buttigieg for Transportation Secretary. Biden has said he wants to overhaul Amtrak. Maybe he was looking for a yes man to help him get it done.

ConservativeGranny #45468

Same old same old. These appointments are mainly rewards. I knew there would be many things that Biden did that I wouldn’t agree with. This is one of them and I’m sure lots more to come. All I really cared about was getting rid of Trump and having a POTUS that was mentally stable and would lead in the right direction with COVID. If he does those two things I will be happy. As it stands now there isn’t anyone in the picture that I would want to vote for as POTUS . Disgusted with the lot of them.

Consistent #45482

Consistent #45483

Consistent #45484

EVERYDAY #45487

So Buttigieg wants to focus on “social justice,” not on transportation. This should work out well. Sigh!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.