Pittsburgh newspaper backs Trump in first GOP presidential endorsement since 1972

Source: The Hill | November 1, 2020 | Joseph Choi

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette endorsed President Trump on Saturday, the first time the news organization has backed a Republican candidate since 1972.

While the newspaper said it preferred the “first-class temperament and demeanor” of former world leaders such as Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama, it endorsed Trump on the basis of the pre-COVID economy, his Supreme Court nominees and his work in the energy industry, a key sector in the Western Pennsylvania region.

“Under Mr. Trump the United States achieved energy independence for the first time in the lifetimes of most of us. Where would Western Pennsylvania be without the Shell Petrochemical Complex (the ‘cracker plant’)?” 

In its endorsement, the newspaper’s editorial board also acknowledged Trump’s less-than-presidential conduct.

“We share the embarrassment of millions of Americans who are disturbed by the president’s unpresidential manners and character — his rudeness and put-downs and bragging and bending of the truth,” the editorial read.

In 2018, the newspaper fired longtime cartoonist Rob Rogers after it rejected several of his cartoons that were critical of Trump, according to The Washington Post.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #44098

EVERYDAY #44108

The Post Gazette has been owned for generations by the Block family. Used to be a more liberal paper, but it has gone full-on Trump Trump Trump.

I wonder if the founder, the late Paul Block, would like Trump. I doubt it. He’s probably spinning in his grave over this endorsement.

The endorsement conveniently fails to mention Trump’s response to COVID, or lack thereof. I guess the paper is ok with 228,000 plus dead and Trump’s plans for herd immunity which would kill far more.

Consistent #44109

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.