Playboy plans to appeal after reporter says his White House credentials were suspended

Source: The Hill | August 3, 2019 | Tal Axelrod

Playboy said late Friday that it would appeal a White House decision to suspend reporter Brian Karem’s press pass after he said he was suspended for 30 days, with the magazine suggesting the move violated the First Amendment.

Karem, who covers the White House for the magazine and is also a CNN contributor, tweeted Friday that he had received an email that his press pass used to enter the White House grounds would be suspended for 30 days starting Monday.

“I can and will appeal this decision,” he followed up later in the day.

“Suspension of credentialed press by the government is incredibly concerning. We are working with our lawyers to appeal the decision to suspend @briankarem,” Playboy tweeted in response to the incident, adding that it would fight “to protect First Amendment rights.”

Karem said the suspension stems from a heated exchange he had with former White House adviser Sebastian Gorka in the Rose Garden last month. 

The White House said that Karem “failed to abide by basic norms of decorum and order” during the event, Karem told The Washington Post, adding that Karem had been rude to “a guest of the president.”

However, Karem maintains that his suspension is a retaliatory move by the White House in response to his “tough” questioning.

“They’re claiming [the reason is] something that happened 21 days ago. I’m there every day. If this was an issue, it should’ve been brought to my attention long before now,” Karem told The Post. “I know what they say the issue is, but that’s not the real issue, or they could’ve talked to me at any point in time prior to now. As a matter of record, they never spoke to me once about it.”

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.