Raffensperger: 'If you're going to put out stuff that we don't believe is true, then we will respond in kind'

Source: The Hill | January 4, 2021 | Aris Folley

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger (R) said in an recent interview that audio of a call in which the president pressured him to help overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in the state wouldn’t have leaked if the president didn’t tweet “something that was false.”

In an interview with local NBC affiliate WXIA-TV released on Monday, Raffensperger said President Trump “broke privacy” when he recently tweeted about the call, audio of which has sent ripples throughout Washington in the past day since its release.

“It was a private conversation as far as I was concerned, and he broke privacy when he put out a tweet. But then his tweet was false,” Raffensperger said.

The Washington Post published the full audio of the call, which took place Saturday, on Sunday after Trump tweeted about a call with Raffensperger earlier in the day. 

“I spoke to Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger yesterday about Fulton County and voter fraud in Georgia. He was unwilling, or unable, to answer questions such as the ‘ballots under table’ scam, ballot destruction, out of state ‘voters,’ dead voters, and more. He has no clue!” he wrote in the tweet.

Not long after, Raffensperger responded to Trump on Twitter, writing: “Respectfully, President Trump: What you’re saying is not true. The truth will come out.”

……..

“If President Trump wouldn’t have tweeted out anything and would’ve stayed silent, we would’ve stayed silent as well,” Raffensperger said, “and that would have just been a conversation between him and I, man to man, and that would have been just fine with us.” 

“But he’s the one that couldn’t — you know, had to put it out on Twitter. And so, if you’re going to put out stuff that we don’t believe is true, then we will respond in kind,” he said.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.