Rand Paul signals willingness to switch on GOP healthcare bill

Source: Washington Examiner | June 25, 2017 | Sean Higgins

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., one of five Republicans who has said he would vote against the the Senate healthcare reform bill, said Sunday he would change his stance if the White House and GOP leadership changed its approach.

“If they cannot get to 50 votes, if they get to (an) impasse, I’ve been telling the leadership for months now that I will vote for a repeal. It doesn’t have to be 100 percent repeal. So, for example, I’m for 100 percent repeal. That’s what I want, but if you offer me 90 percent repeal, I’d probably vote for it. I might vote for 80 percent repeal,” Paul told ABC on Sunday.

Paul, an opthamologist prior to entering politics, said his objection to the Senate legislation the White House is backing is the bill does not represent a significant enough reform. He argued the Senate bill leaves in place “10 of 12” provisions in Obamacare that caused insurance costs to increase.

“Realize that the Obamacare subsidies under this bill are actually greater… than they are under the current Obamacare law. That is not anywhere close to repeal,” Paul said.

…….

One change Paul did say the that might sway him was adding a provision that allowed consumers to purchase insurance across state lines, which would allow them to potentially buy cheaper coverage than what they may currently have available.

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.