Red Cross concerned ‘vulnerable people’ are being held hostage by Hamas

Source: The Hill | November 14, 2023 | Lauren Irwin

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said Tuesday it is concerned about the “vulnerable people” being held hostage by Hamas.

“We are deeply concerned that children, the elderly, people with disabilities, and other vulnerable people are among those held,” Mirjana Spoljaric, the organization’s president, said in a statement.

The group said it has been advocating on behalf of the hostages directly with Hamas and “actors who may have influence on the parties.”

Spoljaric said she will be meeting with Israel’s foreign minister and health minister and families of the hostages at the Red Cross’s headquarters in Geneva.

“Families of hostages are living through an incredibly heart-wrenching time, and I want to underscore how hard we are advocating on behalf of their loved ones,” Spoljaric’s statement said. “This is a key priority for me, and I know the enormous pain the families are enduring.”

……..

Among the hostages taken by Hamas are children who are just a few months old, young women and men, the elderly and Holocaust survivors.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.