RNC member resigns over party’s support for Roy Moore

Source: Hill | December 11, 2017 | Jonathan Easley

A member of the Republican National Committee (RNC) resigned over the weekend, citing her disgust with the RNC’s support for embattled GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore.

Joyce Simmons, a RNC member from Nebraska, informed RNC Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel of her resignation on Dec. 8. In a Monday statement, Simmons said she was driven to cut ties with the national party over its continued support for Moore after he was accused of romantically and sexually pursuing teenage girls.

“I strongly disagree with the recent RNC financial support directed to the Alabama Republican Party for use in the Roy Moore race,” Simmons said in a statement.

Simmons cited Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), who has criticized Moore and said over the weekend that the state could “do better.”

“There is much I could say about the situation but I will defer to this weekend’s comments by Senator Shelby. I will miss so many of you that I knew well; and I wish I could have continued my service to the national Republican Party that I used to know well.”

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.