Steve Deace: The good and bad of Trump's evolving foreign policy

Source: Steve Deace's Facebook | April 18, 2017 | Steve Deace

GOOD

Though it was a massive flip-flop, and China likely is a currency manipulator at least to some extent, they’re also at the very least a necessary economic partner–if not our quasi-landlord. So a trade war with them might’ve been great campaign rhetoric, but terrible policy. Also, they are a necessary ally in reigning in North Korea.

My only complaint about MOAB is we didn’t drop it sooner, and haven’t dropped it more often. We’ve spilled enough American blood trying to nation-build in Muslim lands, and Obama’s attempts to incite the Arab Spring (Muslim Brotherhood) were a colossal failure. Time for a different approach.

Also, hosting and strengthening ties with Jordan’s Abdullah and Egypt’s el-Sisi was wise, both in terms of optics and substance. They are the only thing close to an actual Muslim ally with influence in the region. Obama’s support of the Arab Spring (Muslim Brotherhood) in Egypt is why he foolishly kept el-Sisi at bay. He may turn out to be a bad guy, but while he’s out there using terms like “radical Islamic terrorism” we should be his buddy until he proves to be.

BAD

I can’t even imagine what most of my industry would be doing if a Democrat president called to congratulate would-be Turkish dictator Erdogan on his “reforms.” And then it’s discovered that a few years ago his daughter was tweeting him congrats on helping them launch a hotel in his country. The latter can be forgiven, because Trump wasn’t a politician at the time, and we were still not completely sure who Erdogan was in 2012. But the former just makes no sense, and is either naive or complete lack of self-awareness. Especially when your defrocked National Security Adviser turns out to have been his foreign agent.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.