SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KRON) – A Tesla was in flames after the car’s battery compartment “spontaneously” caught fire on the highway Saturday, the Sacramento Metro Fire District said on Twitter.
The Tesla Model S was traveling at “freeway speeds” when the fire broke out, officials said. Photos shared by the Sacramento Metro Fire District, seen below, show the front of the vehicle severely damaged.
The photos also show how crews had to lift the car to access the battery compartment.
No injuries were reported from this incident. Authorities shared video, which you can see at the top of this story, showing firefighters working to put the fire out on the shoulder of eastbound Highway 50 and Sunrise Boulevard in Rancho Cordova.
Crews used approximately 6,000 gallons of water to put out the fire. Officials said they needed to use so much water because the Tesla’s battery cells continued to combust.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.