Trump claims US nearly at 15 percent COVID-19 immunity: 'That's a very powerful vaccine in itself'

Source: The Hill | December 9, 2020 | Joseph Choi

President Trump claimed on Tuesday that the U.S. was “close to 15 percent” immunity, appearing to support the idea of developing herd immunity to combat the coronavirus, an idea health experts have widely disputed as dangerous.

During a press conference at the White House coronavirus summit, a reporter asked Trump what he would say to the American people in regards to the increasing number of cases. Trump responded by appearing to paint the high number of coronavirus infections in the U.S. in a positive light.

“I think that the vaccine was our goal. That was No. 1, because that was the way it ends,” said Trump. “Plus, you do have an immunity. You develop immunity over a period of time and I hear we’re close to 15 percent, I’m hearing that and that is terrific. That’s a very powerful vaccine in itself.”

……..

The Washington Post notes that it is unclear where Trump got the 15 percent number, especially since the U.S. has surpassed 15 million coronavirus cases, making up less than 5 percent of the population.

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.