Trump defends keeping classified docs in contentious exchange with Fox’s Baier

Source: The Hill | June 19, 2023 | Brett Samuels

Former President Donald Trump on Monday defended his retention of classified materials after leaving the White House, telling Fox News he did not have time to go through the boxes filled with the documents.

“Why not just hand them over then?” Fox anchor Bret Baier asked in Trump’s first interview since being arraigned last week on federal charges.

“Because I had boxes. I want to go through the boxes and get all my personal things out,” Trump responded. “I don’t want to hand that over to [the National Archives] yet. And I was very busy, as you’ve sort of seen.”

Baier noted that the Justice Department’s indictment laid out how Trump allegedly told an aide to move the boxes containing classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate while also telling his lawyers to indicate he was cooperating.

“Before I send boxes over, I have to take all of my things out,” Trump said from his club in Bedminster, N.J., where the interview was filmed. “These boxes were interspersed with all sorts of things, golf shirts, clothing, pants, shoes, there were many things.”

Asked if he was aware of Iran documents being among the items in the boxes, Trump said, “Not that I know of,” while claiming everything was declassified that he took with him.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #58211

Consistent #58212

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.