Trump: I have the right to pardon myself

Source: The Hill | June 4, 2018 | Jordan Fabian and Mallory Shelbourne

President Trump on Monday said he has the right to pardon himself but insisted he has no reason to do so because he has not committed a crime, doubling down on an argument his lawyers made to the special counsel leading the Russia investigation.

“As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?” the president wrote in an early morning tweet.

“In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!” 

In a subsequent tweet, the president argued the appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel “is totally UNCONSTITUTIONAL!” but cited no evidence to support his claim.

“The appointment of the Special Councel [sic] is totally UNCONSTITUTIONAL! Despite that, we play the game because I, unlike the Democrats, have done nothing wrong!” he wrote. 

Trump’s statements will almost certainly inflame the debate over whether he can use his presidential powers to protect himself if Mueller accuses him of wrongdoing in the probe into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. 

……

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #23957

Consistent #23959

EVERYDAY #23960

I’d like the names of those “numerous legal scholars” who said he can pardon himself.

And the appointment of Mueller as special counsel was unconstitutional? Well, gee, Little Donnie, then why did you name Mueller as special counsel?

Consistent #23969

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.