Trump says he wants Supreme Court nominee ‘who’s going to get approved’

Source: Politico | January 27, 2017 | Shane Goldmacher

President Donald Trump said Friday that one of his top factors in filling the current Supreme Court vacancy is “who’s going to get approved” — a remark that represents a bad sign for 11th Circuit Judge Bill Pryor, one of the finalists whose chances are widely seen as fading in the selection process.

Pryor only narrowly received Senate confirmation to the appeals court a decade ago, by a 53-45 vote.

The two other leading finalists, 3rd Circuit Judge Thomas Hardiman and 10th Circuit Judge Neil Gorsuch, were approved 95-0 and in a voice vote, respectively, by the Senate.

…..

Trump began by discussing the ease of confirmation. “Well, it’s also who’s going to get approved,” he said. “We have to go through a process after I pick the person that I’m going to be picking who I think I know but I’m not 100 percent. I can’t guarantee it. We’re doing some further checking. The vetting — they call it the vetting process and the vetting process is very, very strong.”

Trump predicted his selection would be praised by the evangelical community, as well.

….

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #13178

EVERYDAY #13182

Sorry, but while looking for a candidate who pleases everyone might be a consideration, that shouldn’t be a top priority. No matter who Trump nominates, someone will be displeased. If likeability is a critical factor for Trump, then we can forget about the nomination of a constitutional conservative. Look for another John Roberts or worse

ConservativeGranny #13183

LOL! When have we heard this type of reasoning before? Oh yes, “We need a candidate that can win!” We all know what that means.

And I’m sure the Trumpsters will say that Trump is just being pragmatic and he isn’t backpedaling on any promises. He is already softening them up. This should be interesting.

Are they squealing about him not getting rid of Obama’s Dreamer exec order yet?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.