Trump tests positive for coronavirus

Source: Politico | October 2, 2020 | Matthew Choi, Meridith McGraw and Nancy Cook

Nine months after Covid-19 hit the United States, the president, who downplayed the virus in its early stages, became the world’s highest-profile patient of a disease that has killed more than 1 million people.

President Donald Trump announced early Friday that he has tested positive for the coronavirus, upending his presidency and the 2020 race just 32 days before Election Day.

The 74-year-old president disclosed his diagnosis in a tweet at 12:54 a.m. on Friday, hours after news broke that top aide Hope Hicks had tested positive.

“Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19,” he tweeted, referencing first lady Melania Trump. “We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!“

Trump’s physician, Sean Conley, said in a memo that the president and first lady were “both well“ and that Trump would continue to carry out his duties as president. Conley did not mention whether Trump was exhibiting any symptoms, but a person familiar with the situation said the president was not showing symptoms yet on Thursday. Still, Vice President Mike Pence may need to step in for some tasks if Trump is confined to the White House grounds, the person said.

The announcement threatens to transform the final month of a volatile campaign that Trump had long intended to frame around a message of success in defeating the virus — despite surging case counts in parts of the country, shuttered schools and businesses and widespread division about the seriousness of the threat. “I just want to say that the end of the pandemic is in sight, and next year will be one of the greatest years in the history of our country,” he said Thursday evening in a videotaped message to the annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner.

……..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #43264

Consistent #43265

Consistent #43266

Consistent #43267

Consistent #43275

Consistent #43276

Consistent #43278

Consistent #43279

ConservativeGranny #43281

He was mocking Hillary but he looked just like that tottering down that ramp.

Consistent #43292

Consistent #43294

EVERYDAY #43295

I figured in the long run it would be the same old, same old with Trump, his family and staff. Trump’s infection won’t change a dang thing.

EVERYDAY #43302

Oh I now understand Trump is feeling fatigued but is otherwise fine. Now I’m starting to believe that is a lie and Trump is sicker than we are being told.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.