Trump to Black voters: You ‘embraced’ my mugshot

Source: Politico | February 24, 2024 | Meridith McGraw

The remarks on the eve of the GOP primary echoed those in which he compared himself to the late Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina — On the eve of the South Carolina primary, Donald Trump made a direct appeal to Black voters, not just by touting his record on issues they’ve prioritized but by comparing his own criminal indictments to the decades of legal discrimination they’ve faced.

“A lot of people said that that’s why the Black people like me because they have been hurt so badly and discriminated against, and they actually viewed me as I’m discriminated against,” Trump claimed.

He insisted that Black voters had flocked to him because of the mugshot photo from his booking in the Fulton County jail. “When I did the mug shot in Atlanta, that mug shot is No. 1,” Trump claimed. “You know who embraced it more than anyone else? The Black population.”

Trump’s appearance provided a telling illustration of how the former president sees the political motivations of Black voters. While Trump has made inroads in the community — and the crowd on Friday lapped up his remarks — there is no evidence that his criminal charges have won him their support. Similar comments made in the past have received pushback from Black voters who scoff at the comparison of his personal troubles to their experiences with the criminal justice system.

But the audience on Friday appeared to relish Trump’s speech, and he received some of his strongest applause for such lines, which echoed recent public statements in which he compared himself to recently deceased Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny.

“This is Joe Biden’s worst nightmare, a room of hundreds of proud Black Republicans,” Trump said during a winding speech to a ballroom of conservative Black leaders at the Black Conservative Federation’s annual Honors Gala on Friday night.

Trump frequently veered off script, such as when he stared out into the audience and joked, “The lights are so bright in my eyes and I can’t see too many people out there. But I can only see the Black ones, I can’t see any white ones. That’s how far I’ve come.”

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.