Trump To GOP: Pass This Healthcare Bill Or Get Primaried

Source: RedState | March 10, 2017 | Susan Wright

….

The Washington Examiner is reporting on a Tuesday meeting between Trump and the House GOP Whip team, where Trump has threatened that either they get the votes for this monstrous bill, or he will primary those GOP members up for reelection in 2018.

Most of the Republicans who reject the Obamacare replacement plan are from districts that support Trump and are likely to lean heavily to his influence, as far as who to vote for.

If he starts traveling to speak for the primary challengers of sitting Republican lawmakers, you know it’s to punish them for non-compliance.

Party insiders say the president at that point could choose to make an example of one or two resistant Republicans to send a message.

Rep. Mark Meadows, chairman of the Freedom Caucus, the primary group of House Republicans opposed to the healthcare bill, is a possible target. His western North Carolina district voted overwhelmingly for Trump in November, and Meadows has come out in opposition to the bill.

Said Meadows:

“The president has a very powerful bully pulpit and a very powerful tweet and so I would never want to take on the president in either of those realms,” he admitted.

And we know what havoc Trump’s tweets tend to create.

Another member of the Whip team, Rep. Tom Cole, of Oklahoma, said:

“I don’t think he has to threaten them. I think he does have to persuade them and make them realize, we fail at this, the first victims are going to be you guys, because you’re the ones up in 2018,” Cole said. “People have to decide, do you really want to hand the president a defeat on his first major initiative? I think that’s full of political consequences for people that do it.”

….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #14289

Dom Ruinart #14290

By this time next year, people will be getting thrown off their plans. So, I wouldn’t worry about being primaried. Besides, it’s conservatives who are opposing this insane bill.

So, what Trump is saying is he wants more left-leaning populists in the House.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.