Ukrainian citizens take up arms amid the Russian invasion

Source: The Hill | February 26, 2022 | Caroline Vakil

Ukrainian citizens are taking up arms amid the Russian invasion into the country, as one Ukrainian posed the question: ‘Who else but us?”

“My motivation is simple,” Zakhar Nechypor, an actor in Ukraine, told The New York Times in a video interview published on Friday. “It’s better than sitting at home and waiting for something to hit you. Who else but us?”

A Ukrainian member of parliament, Kira Rudik, posted a photo on Friday showing her brandishing a gun.

“I learn to use #Kalashnikov and prepare to bear arms. It sounds surreal as just a few days ago it would never come to my mind. Our #women will protect our soil the same way as our #men. Go #Ukraine! ,” she tweeted.

Hlib Bondarenko, a computer programmer, told the Times in their interview that while he was just an ordinary citizen, Russia’s “objective, clearly, at least to me, seems to be the occupation of my entire country and the destruction of everything that I love.”

“I’m just a regular civilian, I have basically nothing to do with war, or any other thing like it. And I wouldn’t really want to participate in anything like this, but I don’t really have any choice because this is my home,” he said.

Earlier in a press briefing on Saturday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky urged his citizens to take up arms against Russia.

……..

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.