Ukrainian mine-sniffing dog awarded medal from Zelensky after finding…

Source: The Hill | May 9, 2022 | Sarakshi Rai

Ukrainian mine-sniffing dog awarded medal from Zelensky after finding more than 200 explosives

A mine-sniffing dog credited with finding more than 200 explosives since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began was feted by Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky in a special ceremony on Sunday.

Patron, a 2 1/2-year-old Jack Russell Terrier, was awarded a medal for “Dedicated Work in the Ukraine Army.” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was also present at his award ceremony over the weekend.

In a video shared by Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense on Twitter, Patron is seen walking into the ceremony with his handler Myhailo Iliev, who is a major in the Civil Protection Service, according to Reuters.

“In the presence of Mr. Prime Minister, I awarded our sappers today. In particular, a small but very famous sapper – Patron,” Zelensky said in a statement.

He added that Patron is “a dog who helps clean our land from the traces of the occupiers. And who also helps teach children mine safety.”

……..

According to The Guardian, the terrier — whose name means “ammo” in Ukrainian — works predominantly in and around Chernihiv, a region that has seen heavy fighting since the invasion began on Feb. 24.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.