Yankees surprised by Trump announcing plans to throw first pitch without invite: NYT

Source: The Hill | July 27, 2020 | Justine Coleman

The New York Yankees were surprised when President Trump announced his plans to throw the first pitch at a game in August, The New York Times reported Monday.

That’s because the team hadn’t invited the president, a person with knowledge of Trump’s schedule told the Times. 

Trump’s announcement, which reportedly also came as a surprise to White House staff, came hours before Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, threw out the first pitch at the Washington Nationals’ season opener against the Yankees.

An official familiar with his reaction told the Times the president was annoyed about the media attention Fauci was receiving for the pitch. Trump directed staff to call Yankees officials to schedule a date for the first pitch, but a date wasn’t finalized.

White House aides reportedly tried to inform Yankees officials that Trump was booked to throw the opening pitch on Aug 15. But the president ended up canceling his first pitch on Sunday, citing that he would be busy with meetings and other work related to the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump reportedly was following up on a longtime standing offer from his friend Randy Levine, who is the president of the Yankees. 

“Randy Levine is a great friend of mine from the Yankees,” Trump told reporters Thursday. “And he asked me to throw out the first pitch, and I think I’m doing that on Aug. 15 at Yankee Stadium.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.