Avenatti indictment alleges he stole millions from clients, didn't pay taxes

Source: The Hill | April 11, 2019 | Michael Burke

Attorney Michael Avenatti reportedly faces a 36-count federal indictment on charges including fraud, perjury, failure to pay taxes and embezzlement.

Avenatti, formerly the attorney to adult-film star Stormy Daniels in her lawsuit against President Trump, was indicted late Wednesday and prosecutors in California are expected to make the indictment public Thursday, according to The Los Angeles Times.

The indictment alleges that Avenatti stole millions of dollars from clients, did not pay taxes, committed bank fraud and lied during bankruptcy proceedings, The Associated Press reported.

The charges allege that the lawyer embezzled from several clients, including a paraplegic man, according to the AP.

Avenatti said in tweets Thursday that he will plead not guilty and expects to be exonerated.

“For 20 years, I have represented Davids vs. Goliaths and relied on due process and our system of justice. Along the way, I have made many powerful enemies. I am entitled to a FULL presumption of innocence and am confident that justice will be done once ALL of the facts are known,” he wrote.

“I intend to fully fight all charges and plead NOT GUILTY. I look forward to the entire truth being known as opposed to a one-sided version meant to sideline me,” Avenatti added.

……….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.