Hawaii’s Emergency Management Agency (EMA) administrator on Saturday took the blame for a false alert warning about an incoming ballistic missile that sent residents scrambling.
“It’s my responsibility, so this would be my fault,” administrator Vern Miyagi said at a press conference with Hawaii Gov. David Ige (D).
“We’ll take action to prevent this from ever happening again,” Miyagi said.
The agency had responded quickly on social media to the false emergency alert Saturday, tweeting within minutes that there was “No missile threat to Hawaii.”
The emergency official said his agency would work to make sure more than one person is in charge of making the decision to send out the alert in the future.
At the briefing Saturday, Ige said the alert, which was broadcast over radio and television and appeared as an emergency alert message on smartphones, had been accidentally triggered when “an employee pushed the wrong button.”
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.