Hirono: Democrats did not expect limited Kavanaugh investigation

Source: The Hill | September 30, 2018 | Michael Burke

Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) on Sunday said Democrats were not expecting a limited FBI investigation into sexual assault allegations against Brett Kavanaugh, and called for a thorough background check that would enable lawmakers to determine the Supreme Court nominee’s character and credibility.

Hirono, appearing on ABC’s “This Week,” called on Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and other moderate Republicans to push for a more thorough investigation.

“I would think that Jeff Flake and the other senators who are pulling for this investigation will call for — there’s time, you know? The thing is that every Senate vote matters and there’s time to get to the bottom of it,” she said.

“To limit the FBI as to the scope and who they’re going to question,  … that’s not the kind of investigation that all of us are expecting the FBI to conduct,” Hirono added.

……..

Hirono during her interview on “This Week” criticized Kavanaugh’s testimony as excessively partisan.

“It was shocking to me that he would accuse Democrats of some kind of a vast conspiracy to do him in and even dragged in Hillary Clinton. I found that bizarre,” Hirono said. “We hardly need someone on the Supreme Court who has these conspiracy theory notions.”

Hirono also said that if Kavanaugh is confirmed to the Supreme Court, he should recuse himself in the future from cases involving congressional Democrats or liberal groups.

“He revealed himself as a partisan,” she said. “If I were a Democrat going before him, I’d ask him to recuse himself.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #25893

Consistent #25896

EVERYDAY #25897

Whine, whine, whine. Dems should be grateful they are getting even this li and its investigation. The judge has been vetted several times already. There is nothing more to investigate.

The Dems just want to delay the process further. They are hoping perhaps for a withdrawal and no more time to nominate another. If Dems take the Senate in November, they can then appoint their own SCOTUS justice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.