Key Republican defends Mueller for referral on Cohen raid (Trey Gowdy)

Source: The Hill | April 15, 2018 | Julia Manchester

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) on Sunday defended a referral by special counsel Robert Mueller that led, in part, to raids on President Trump’s personal lawyer’s home, office and hotel room last week.

“I don’t know what Mueller was supposed to do other than what he did. When a prosecutor comes in contact with information or evidence of a crime, what are you supposed to do, other than refer to the appropriate jurisdiction?” Gowdy asked Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday.”

“Now if Mueller had kept something tangential or unrelated to himself, then I’d say fine, you can criticize him but he came into contact with potential criminality. He referred it to the U.S. attorney’s office of jurisdiction, and he did so with the permission of Rod Rosenstein,” he continued, referring to the deputy attorney general.

The referral and subsequent raid on attorney Michael Cohen’s office, home and hotel room sparked a strong reaction from the president, who publicly floated firing Mueller after hearing about the raids last week.

…….

Gowdy said on Sunday, however, that he did not see any basis for firing the deputy attorney general. 

“As for Rod Rosenstein, I don’t see a basis for firing him and his handling of this probe. Now he’s the one who drafted that original jurisdiction for Mueller, so if you think it’s too broad, then you got to direct your criticism toward Rosenstein, and not to Mueller,” Gowdy said. 

“If you’re upset with Rosenstein because he’s slow-walking document production to Congress, take that up with him. But how this is Mueller’s fault just defies logic to me.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.