Trump defends handling of Russia probe: 'Everything I've done has been 100 percent proper'

Source: The Hill | January 6, 2018 | John Bowden

President Trump on Saturday pushed back on suggestions that he attempted to interfere with the Justice Department’s investigation into possible collusion between his campaign and Russia.

In a press conference flanked by GOP leaders at Camp David, Trump responded to a New York Times article that said Trump had directed White House counsel Don McGahn last year to lobby Attorney General Jeff Sessions not to recuse himself in the ongoing Russia investigation.

“Everything that I’ve done was 100 percent proper. The story, by the way, in the Times was way off, or at least off,” Trump said in response to a question from The Hill.

“But everything I’ve done has been 100 percent proper. That’s what I do, I do things proper,” he said.

Trump’s comments came after the Times reported Thursday that the president ordered McGahn to urge Sessions not to recuse himself in the probe into ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

The report said that Trump had also drafted a letter to now-fired FBI Director James Comey, in which Trump called the Russia probe “fabricated and politically motivated,” before being stopped by aides.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.