Trump’s former lawyer criticizes Giuliani for ‘damaging Trump's case immeasurably’

Source: The Hill | July 28, 2018 | Avery Anapol

President Trump’s former lawyer on Friday tore into his current attorney, saying Rudy Giuliani is hurting the president’s case against Michael Cohen.

Jay Goldberg, who represented Trump in his two divorces, told CNN that Giuliani is “immeasurably” damaging Trump’s case with conflicting statements about Cohen, Trump’s former longtime personal lawyer and fixer.

“I knew as soon as Giuliani spoke that he was damaging Trump’s case immeasurably,” Goldberg told CNN. “It ranks near 100 in terms of damage.”

Giuliani in recent months expressed confidence in Cohen, calling him truthful and saying that he was not concerned about Cohen “flipping” on Trump and cooperating with federal prosecutors.

But after it was revealed last week that Cohen recorded Trump discussing arranging a payment to purchase the rights to a former Playboy model’s story of her alleged affair with Trump, Giuliani sharply changed his narrative, now painting him as a “pathological liar.”

“I expected something like this from Cohen,” Giuliani told CNN on Thursday. “He’s been lying all week. He’s been lying for years.”

“I don’t see how he has any credibility,” he added.

Goldberg told CNN that Giuliani’s original comment saying Cohen would tell the truth “strips the defense of its main weapon of claiming that he is coloring his testimony to favor the government, so he can get a letter of cooperation.”

“No defense lawyer would say that,” he added.

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.