Alec Baldwin compares Liz Cheney to an American Navalny

Source: The Hill | August 16, 2022 | Judy Kurtz

Longtime Democrat Alec Baldwin is praising Rep. Liz Cheney, calling the Wyoming Republican the “[Alexey] Navalny of our current political culture.”

Cheney, one of the GOP’s most prominent critics of former President Trump and the vice chairwoman of the House committee investigating last year’s Jan. 6 Capitol riot, is facing a primary challenge Tuesday from 2020 election denier Harriet Hageman. Some recent polls showed Trump-backed Hageman leading by almost 30 points.

“Who’s the Navalny?” Baldwin said he wondered recently after watching a documentary about the jailed Russian opposition leader.

“Where’s the man or woman that’s willing to self-immolate over principle? You’re willing to end your career over principle,” Baldwin said on “The Chris Cuomo Project” podcast released Tuesday.

“And we do have one today. We do have one, who is the Navalny of our current political culture, and that’s Liz Cheney,” Baldwin told host Chris Cuomo.

The “Glengarry Glen Ross” actor, one of Trump’s fiercest critics who mocked him with his impersonation of the 45th president on “Saturday Night Live,” said, “I’m very, very, very heartened to see Liz Cheney do the right thing.”

“I mean, even though her politics heretofore was not my cup of tea, and her father was somebody who was like a villain to me on a movie poster,” Baldwin, 64, said of former Vice President Dick Cheney.

But he said he’d have “to think about” whether he would actually cast a ballot for Cheney if she ran for future political office.

“Liz Cheney, to me, is someone who I would certainly consider a great candidate for some political appointment,” he said.

After the performer said that “all politicians are bought and owned by the people who put them in office financially,” Cuomo asked Baldwin why he remained a Democrat if he believed the political system was “basically a plutocracy.”

“I’ve been anesthetized in recent years into believing into what the Democrats have said — and they’re right — which is how much worse it would be if the Republicans were in power.”

Baldwin spoke out against his GOP critics, saying, “These people hate liberals that can throw a punch.”

“If you’re a liberal with a pair of balls, they hate you,” he added.

Asked if President Biden “deserved” another term in office in 2024, Baldwin said, “I think he does deserve a second term, but again, his age is a factor.”

The 79-year-old commander in chief, Baldwin said, “was handed a bowl full of horse manure and asked to make it into meatloaf” by “sociopath” Trump.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.