Andrew Cuomo resigns amid sexual harassment scandal

Source: Politico | August 10, 2021 | Shannon Young and Michelle Bocanegra

ALBANY, N.Y. — A year after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo reached new political heights with daily news briefings that enraptured a nation in the throes of a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic, the three-term Democrat announced plans to resign amid growing pressure to leave or face impeachment over allegations that he sexually harassed nearly a dozen women.

Cuomo’s resignation announcement — just one week after Attorney General Tish James released a bombshell report that gave credence to the allegations — sets Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul up to become the first woman to assume New York’s top political office. Cuomo will step down in 14 days.

“Given the circumstances, the best way I can help now is if I step aside and let the government get back to government,” Cuomo said in a video statement lasting about 21 minutes. “Therefore that’s what I’ll do, because I work for you, and doing the right thing, is doing the right thing for you. Because, as we say, ‘it’s not about me, it’s about we.’”

Cuomo added that Hochul “is smart and competent” and stressed the “transition must be seamless.”

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #49934

Consistent #49935

Consistent #49937

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.