Hogan ‘disgusted’ most GOP candidates ‘would put convicted felon in WH’

Source: The Hill | August 24, 2023 | Miranda Nazzaro

Hogan ‘disgusted’ most GOP candidates ‘would put a convicted felon in the White House’

Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said Thursday he was “embarrassed and disgusted” that most of the GOP presidential candidates said during Wednesday’s debate they would support former President Trump as their party’s 2024 nominee, even if he were convicted of a crime.

“That was the low light of the entire debate,” Hogan said in an interview with CNN’s Dana Bash. “I mean, I was embarrassed and disgusted by the fact that, you know, look, we’ve got to let the court cases play themselves out. We can’t, everybody is presumed innocent until proven guilty. But no man is above the law, not even the president of the United States.”

Hogan was referring to moderator Bret Baier’s question asking the candidates to raise their hand if they would stand by their pledge to support Trump if he secures the GOP nomination and is later convicted. All but former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie raised their hand.

“For, you know, six people to raise their hand and say, ‘I would put a convicted felon in the White House,’ it’s just beyond comprehension,” Hogan continued. “I mean, in most states, convicted felons don’t even have the right to vote. They’re not registered voters, but we would put them in the White House.”

Pressed over why he did not raise his hand, Christie said, “Someone’s got to stop normalizing this conduct,” prompting boos from the audience.

“I was amazed that only Chris Christie and Asa Hutchinson stood up and said, you know, they would … follow the Constitution and the rule of law,” Hogan said.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #58575

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.