House chairman issues subpoenas for Trump's tax returns

Source: The Hill | May 10, 2019 | Naomi Jagoda

House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.) on Friday announced that he has issued subpoenas for six years of President Trump’s tax returns, House Democrats’ latest effort to obtain the returns.

Neal said he issued the subpoenas to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig. The subpoenas direct the officials to send the information to the House panel by 5 p.m. on May 17.

“After reviewing the options available to me, and upon the advice of counsel, I issued subpoenas today to the Secretary of the Treasury and the Commissioner of the IRS for six years of personal and business returns,” Neal said in a statement.

“While I do not take this step lightly, I believe this action gives us the best opportunity to succeed and obtain the requested material,” he said. “I sincerely hope that the Treasury Department will furnish the requested material in the next week so the committee can quickly begin its work.”

The announcement escalates the congressional fight over Trump’s tax returns and comes days after Mnuchin rejected Neal’s request, first made April 3, for Trump’s personal and business tax returns from 2013 to 2018.

Neal made that request under Section 6103(f) of the federal tax code, which states that the Treasury secretary “shall furnish” tax returns requested by a chairperson of a congressional tax committee, so long as the documents are viewed in a closed session.

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.