Musk accuses ADL of ‘trying to kill’ X, threatens lawsuit

Source: The Hill | September 5, 2023 | Sarah Fortinsky

Tech billionaire Elon Musk accused the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) of “trying to kill” X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, and threatened a lawsuit against the group, whose stated purpose is to fight antisemitism and hate speech.

In a series of X posts Monday, Musk — the owner of the social media platform — accused the hate-speech watchdog group of “falsely accusing” him of being antisemitic, resulting in what he claimed was a decline in ad sales. 

“Since the acquisition, The @ADL has been trying to kill this platform by falsely accusing it & me of being anti-Semitic,” Musk said in a post, adding, “Our US advertising revenue is still down 60%, primarily due to pressure on advertisers by @ADL (that’s what advertisers tell us), so they almost succeeded in killing X/Twitter!”

“To be super clear, I’m pro free speech, but against anti-Semitism of any kind,” he wrote in a separate post.

Several hours later, he took to X again to claim the company would file a defamation suit against the ADL.

“To clear our platform’s name on the matter of anti-Semitism, it looks like we have no choice but to file a defamation lawsuit against the Anti-Defamation League … oh the irony!” Musk wrote.

The X owner said the lawsuit would accuse the ADL of “destroying half the value of the company,” which he valued at $22 billion.

“Based on what we’ve heard from advertisers, ADL seems to be responsible for most of our revenue loss,” Musk claimed. “Giving them maximum benefit of the doubt, I don’t see any scenario where they’re responsible for less than 10% of the value destruction, so ~$4 billion.”

……..

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #58628

Consistent #58629

Consistent #58630

Consistent #58631

Consistent #58632

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.