Paul Ryan rejects calls for special prosecutor in Russia investigation

Source: The Hill | May 10, 2017 | Max Greenwood

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Wednesday rejected calls for an independent commission and special prosecutor to handle ongoing investigations into alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russia, saying doing so could “compromise” U.S. intelligence gathering. 

“I don’t think that’s a good idea. I think, first of all, we have three investigations going on right now,” Ryan said on Fox News. “We have a House investigation by our intelligence committee, which is the appropriate to do that, I believe. And we have a Senate Intelligence Committee…doing an investigation. And you have the FBI investigating all things Russia.”

“I think the intelligence committees are the ones that should do this, because, don’t forget that the methods and sources of our intelligence gathering are also at play here and we have to be very sensitive so that we don’t compromise that information as well.”

In the wake of President Trump’s abrupt decision to fire FBI Director James Comey Tuesday night, Democratic lawmakers joined by some Republicans amped up calls for a independent commission to probe Trump and his associates’ ties with Moscow. 

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.