Pentagon planning grand military parade for Trump: report

Source: The Hill | February 6, 2018 | Avery Anapol

The Pentagon has reportedly begun planning a military parade at the request of President Trump.

Trump repeatedly has expressed an interest in holding a display of America’s military might and upped his calls for a parade after witnessing the Bastille Day celebrations on a trip to France last summer.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that at a recent meeting between Trump and top military officials, Trump’s wishes were “suddenly heard as a presidential directive.”

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” one military official told The Washington Post on the condition of anonymity. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”

A White House official told the Post that the planning was still in the “brainstorming” stages, and that there is “no meat on the bones” as of yet.

White House chief of staff John Kelly is reportedly involved in the planning of the parade. Pentagon officials are pushing for the parade to be tied to Veterans Day, rather than Independence Day or Memorial Day, because it would appear to be less tied to Trump.

Officials told the Post that they do not yet know how they will cover the cost of the parade, which could reach millions of dollars.

Trump reportedly wanted to include tanks and missile launchers in his Inauguration Day parade. An inauguration team source said at the time that the team was “legit thinking Red Square/North Korea-style parade.”

Military officials were reluctant about the inauguration team’s desires, and the team ultimately decided not to move forward.

…….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #21458

Consistent #21459

Consistent #21461

Consistent #21462

Consistent #21463

Consistent #21471

EVERYDAY #21475

How much is this ego stroking going to cost us taxpayers?

If Trump wants to honor our military, how about doing something that actually benefits the military — like increasing funding for training and equipment or maybe fixing the VA?

ConservativeGranny #21499

Because he really isn’t doing this for the military. It’s all for him. “I’m an insecure balding man with short hands but look at all the war toys I have! All this power at my command!” He has gotten right down to Kim’s level and now wants a playground fight over whose dad can beat up your dad.

Trump requires constant adulation. When his ego feels particularly sad he plans a rally or now a parade that will cost the taxpayers millions.

EVERYDAY #21500

Of course,this parade has nothing to do with the military and everything to do with pleasing Trump’s inner child. If it was his money paying for this spectacle, I might not mind so much. But it’s our money and I would rather see it put to more practical use to strengthen our military and give the members something they can use or badly need.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.