Rabbi shows us all how to act after any tragedy

Source: Washington Examiner | October 31, 2018 | Kimberly Ross

……..

Ahead of President Trump’s Tuesday visit to Pittsburgh, there were calls for him to stay away. Even during his visit, protests occurred. Demonstrations of that kind existed in the wrong time and place. When a national event shakes the country to its core, it is just and fitting for this or any president to make an appearance. It matters not what the pundits say or what the social media chatter is; our leader must always make an attempt at solidarity.

Of all the Jewish voices raised after Saturday’s massacre, Jeffrey Myers, the rabbi at Tree of Life synagogue, should have been given the largest platform. During a Monday appearance on CNN, he said the following:

“The president of the United States is always welcome. I’m a citizen. He’s my president. He is certainly welcome.”

Eleven members of Myers’ own spiritual community were slaughtered and he not only declared his openness to welcoming the leader of our country but called him “my president.” His words serve as a powerful reminder to Republicans, Democrats, and any in between who tailor their reactions to slaughter through a filter of politics. More often than not, the president is only “our president” post-crisis if we voted for him or generally support his policies. Otherwise, he’s the enemy and should distance himself from ground zero.

This is always the wrong approach.

……..

Just for a moment, Americans should fight against their first impulse to blame and instead, stand with their president in solidarity against evil. The unification will be brief, but there is simply no other option. Since the electorate is ripe with division, the only way to begin to chip away at hate is to cooperate when things are the worst.

I have no idea what Rabbi Myers’ personal political beliefs are, and that is refreshing. In the wake of domestic terrorism that violently stood upon his own ground, he was willing to meet with the leader of a divided nation. Of the many roles our commander-in-chief embodies, perhaps being “our president” in times of tragedy is the most important one. We, as members of a divided nation, should give him the opportunity to represent us all.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.