Steve Deace – Reality check: Elections aren’t really binary choices

Source: Conservative Review | September 19, 2016 | Steve Deace

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before:

Elections are binary choices. You have to choose one or the other.

Does that mean I have to choose between Burger King and McDonald’s, and Chick-fil-a isn’t an option?

As the alternatives for various offices presented by the two major political parties become increasingly puke-worthy with each passing election cycle (just take a look at CR’s Liberty Scorecard for evidence of this), the binary choice claims are reaching a crescendo (as is the hyperbolic fear-mongering each side does regarding the other). However, just because something is said a lot — and said so emphatically — doesn’t make it true.

….

For example, there is a long and exhaustive list of presidential candidates on the ballot across the country. Not to mention the write-in option as well. So right away, there’s nothing compelling anyone to limit his choice whatsoever.

“But Steve,” some of you will say, “a vote for anybody other than major party candidate A is really a vote for major party candidate B.”

That may be your opinion of the impact of such an action, and it’s not an unreasonable one. But that’s all it is — your opinion. Opinions aren’t facts, despite the fact we live in a culture that has as its new national motto, “I emote; therefore, I am.” After all, I may be of the opinion voting for knuckle-dragging progressives just because they’re Republicans will prove to be wasted votes once they’re in office. Yet that’s just an opinion, too.

….

In fact, our system of government makes almost no binary choice demands. You know, that whole “consent of the governed” and “life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness” thing that puts the emphasis on individual freedom. The great irony here is that the only real binary choices that exist in our way of life are all the predetermined moral ones we as a people are abandoning at warp speed.

….

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.