Top ex-DOJ official's notes appear to corroborate James Comey's testimony on Trump conversation

Source: Washington Examiner | April 10, 2018 | Daniel Chaitin

The notes of a former top Justice Department official discussing what ex-FBI Director James Comey told him about being pressured by President Trump to lay off the Russia investigation were revealed in a MSNBC report Tuesday evening.

The notes from Acting Deputy Attorney General Dana Boente were dated March 30, 2017, and would appear to be the first hard evidence to corroborate Comey’s testimony that he Trump had asked him to “lift the cloud” put over his administration by the Russia inquiry looking into his ties to Russia.

“Immediately after that conversation, I called Acting Deputy Attorney General Dana Boente, to report the substance of the call from the President, and said I would await his guidance. I did not hear back from him before the President called me again two weeks later,” Comey said of the late-March encounter to the Senate Intelligence Committee during a hearing June of 2017. Sessions had already by that point recused himself of all Russia-related investigations.

In the Boente’s handwritten notes obtained by MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, Boente said, “cloud as a result of Russia business. This makes running the country difficult,” echoing the exact words Comey had told congressional investigators.

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.