Trump slams Los Angeles for ‘terrible decision’ to keep schools closed

Source: Politico | July 14, 2020 | Michael Stratford

“It is a balancing act but we have to open the schools,” the president said.

President Donald Trump took aim at Los Angeles school officials for what he called a “terrible decision” this week to keep classrooms closed this fall amid the surge of coronavirus cases in Southern California.

Trump said during an interview with CBS News on Tuesday that it was a “mistake” for Los Angeles schools to remain closed and called for new leadership of the nation’s second-largest school district.

“I would tell parents and teachers that you should find yourself a new person – whoever’s in charge of that decision because it’s a terrible decision,” he said. “Because children and parents are dying from that trauma, too. They’re dying because they can’t do what they’re doing. Mothers can’t go to work because all of a sudden they have to stay home and watch their child — and fathers.”

Trump’s comments come as major U.S. school districts in states with rising coronavirus cases are defying his demands that classrooms physically reopen this fall.

The Los Angeles and San Diego school districts, which collectively enroll more than 700,000 students, both announced on Monday that they will start the coming school year online, vowing to return to physical classrooms when public health conditions permit.

……

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41106

Consistent #41107

Consistent #41108

Consistent #41109

ConservativeGranny #41116

Who knew that staying home with your kids was so life threatening?

EVERYDAY #41117

Throughout this pandemic Trump has given no worthwhile guidance or leadership. When experts in the field of infectious diseases give him advice, he rejects it and instead gives the America n people a phony remedy, lies, half truths and misleading statements and, as an added bonus, a campaign speech.

I’ve said this all along — it is up to us to do our own research and decide what is best for us. We cannot rely on government to give us any sort of leadership — especially at the federal level.

Trump says the parents should replace the local school official who makes the decision about a return to in-person classes. I say, the parents should be the ones to decide if it’s safe for the kids to go back to school. They should tell the school board to give them a choice — in person, online or maybe a combination of the two. School districts where I live are giving parents options and I think that’s wise. Let the parents decide what’s best for their kids.

And the parents should tell Trump to — well…no, I’m not going to say it here; it’s too offensive.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.