Cruz Releases a Total of Nine Years of Tax Returns, Calls on Trump to Stop…

Source: TedCruz.org | February 27, 2016 |

Cruz Releases a Total of Nine Years of Tax Returns, Calls on Trump to Stop Hiding His Own Returns

Citing the importance of transparency and accountability in electing the next President, Sen. Ted Cruz released four additional years of tax returns to the public. During his run for Senate, Cruz released his returns for years 2006 through 2010, and today he released returns for 2011 through 2014. He also called on Donald Trump to quit delaying the release of his own tax returns and make them public so Americans can do a proper vetting before deciding on a Republican nominee.

“It is time to stop the excuses,” said Cruz. “Donald Trump owes it to the American people to be fully vetted, and that includes releasing his tax returns so the voters can see the full financial picture. His claim that he can’t comply because he’s being audited is nonsense. If Donald is embarrassed about his tax returns, it’s up to the voters to assess the facts. It’s time to stop delaying and come clean with the American people.”

At the CNN Republican debate on Thursday, Trump explained his delaying tactics by saying, “I will absolutely give my return, but I’m being audited now for two or three years, so I can’t do it until the audit is finished… I want to release my tax returns but I can’t release it while I’m under an audit… Now, until that audit’s done, and I don’t think anybody would blame me, I’m not giving [my returns].”

In response to Trump’s claim, the IRS issued a statement that read in part, “Nothing prevents individuals from sharing their own tax information.” Therefore, the only thing standing in the way of the American people being able to properly vet Donald Trump is Donald Trump.

In the past, Trump has also suggested he couldn’t release his returns because they are very complicated and take time to complete. However, that doesn’t explain why he wouldn’t be able to release returns that have already been filed.

Trump should follow Sen. Cruz’s example and release at least nine years of tax returns. If he is only being audited for “two or three years,” it should be a simple matter to release the previous years. And, since they’ve already been filed with the IRS, there is no reason that he could not release them immediately.

Some observers have suggested that Trump is hiding his returns because they may include embarrassing or controversial items. Governor Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican nominee for president, has said there is likely a “bombshell” in Trump’s returns.

Speculation about a potential “bombshell” include doubts about Trump’s actual net worth. Several media publications, including Forbes and National Review, have reported that evidence suggests that Trump’s claimed wealth is vastly overstated.

In addition, it’s possible Trump has been a significant donor to left-wing organizations, such as Planned Parenthood, which would seriously undermine his claim to be pro-life. He has repeatedly said that he thinks Planned Parenthood “does wonderful things.” Moreover, for decades, Trump donated to the most liberal members of the Democratic Party, so it is reasonable to question whether he has given to some of the most radical left-wing organizations as well.

“It’s time for Trump to come clean and release his tax returns,” added Cruz. “If he’s not been completely honest or has supported the most radical left-wing groups in America, voters deserve to know.”

Additionally, the fact that some years are being audited makes releasing those years under audit more important, not less important. The IRS has explicitly stated that the audits are not a barrier to Trump releasing those tax returns. And, if the audits reveal tax irregularities–or, even worse, tax fraud–then the primary voters deserve to know that before the primary, not after. Both the Democrats and the media will undoubtedly place great emphasis on any potential claims of tax fraud, and Republican primary voters should be able to evaluate to facts before they vote.

Ted Cruz’s Tax Facts:

Ted Cruz’s Tax Forms:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #1698

EVERYDAY #1699

Good move on Ted Cruz’s part. Tawny Donnie now is in a box. There is no barrier to his release of his returns. If he continues to delay, all but Trump’s Kool aid drinking rabble will want to know what does Trump have to hide.

Already, the Trumpbots are trying to gloss over the importance of releasing the returns. “What’s the big deal?” they ask. They just really don’t care.

By the way, I borrowed the nickname of “Tawny Donnie” from a Facebook poster. Thought it was very appropriate.

Scarlett_Says #1705

Good for Cruz.

What’s Donnie hiding?

FReeper formerly known as Brothers4thID

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.