11 U.S. troops evacuated from Iraq base after Trump claimed none 'were harmed'

Source: Politico | January 17, 2020 | Quint Forgey

Eleven U.S. service members were injured during an Iranian missile strike last week against an Iraqi air base housing American troops, military officials confirmed late Thursday, despite the Trump administration’s previous assertion that no Americans were harmed in the assault by Tehran.

While no troops were killed in the strike on Iraq’s Al-Asad air base, “several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed,” U.S. Central Command spokesman Capt. Bill Urban said in a statement.

The statement breaks with President Donald Trump’s claim that no U.S. troops were hurt after Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles targeting the installation and another air base near Irbil in northern Iraq. Both bases were “hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel,” according to the Pentagon.

………

“I am pleased to inform you, the American people should be extremely grateful and happy. No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime,” Trump said in a televised address to the nation, delivered from the White House in the immediate aftermath of the strike. “We suffered no casualties. All of our soldiers are safe, and only minimal damage was sustained at our military bases.”

But Urban said Thursday that “in the days following” the strike, “out of an abundance of caution,” eight troops were transported from the Al-Asad air base to a medical center in Germany, and another three were moved to Kuwait “for follow-on screening.” He did not specify a timeline for their diagnosis and treatment.

The soldiers’ injuries were first reported by Defense One.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #34898

EVERYDAY #34912

He did one thing right — – ordering the death of Soleimani. But he just can’t let the act speak for itself. He has to embellish, brag and outright lie about it and everything related to it.

ConservativeGranny #34913

I can’t even give him credit for offing Soleimani. Personally I don’t think he wanted to do it. He really is a big coward when it comes to stuff like that. I believe he was prodded and convinced to do it for a couple of (wag the dog) reasons. Then he brags about it like he is a big tough guy. I just can’t believe that his supporters don’t ever get sick of being made fools of and lied to.

EVERYDAY #34932

You could be right Granny. I expect Trump didn’t know who Soliemani was (I had read he blew off many of his briefings or didn’t pay attention in the ones he had). But someone told him getting rid of the guy would be a plus for him politically. And for a while, it shifted most people’s focus away from the impeachment. The guy does nothing unless he gets some personal or political benefit out of it.

Trump’s fans will never admit that he has repeatedly lied to them and broken many of his promises. They never question anything he says.

Consistent #35041

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.