Amateur sleuths crack one of the Zodiac Killer's ciphers after 51 years

Source: The Hill | December 11, 2020 | Sarah Polus

The FBI announced that a cipher from the Zodiac Killer has been solved, more than half a century after the infamous killer began his reign of terror.

Three private citizens broke what’s known as the 340 cipher, a vexing code that has stumped detectives and cryptographers alike for decades. David Oranchak, a software developer in Virginia, Jarl Van Eycke, a Belgian computer programmer and Sam Blake, an Australian mathematician, are being credited with decoding the message, CNN reports.

“It was a long shot — we didn’t even really know if there was a message,” Oranchak told CNN.

The killer, who operated around the San Francisco Bay area between 1968 and 1969, is famous for the coded messages he sent police and media. While three of the four ciphers were previously solved, the 340 cipher remained the most elusive. 

The coded message, sent to the San Francisco Chronicle in 1969, reads as follows:

“I hope you are having lots of fun in trying to catch me

That wasn’t me on the TV show which brings up a point about me

I am not afraid of the gas chamber because it will send me to paradice [sic] all the sooner

Because I now have enough slaves to work for me where everyone else has nothing when they reach paradice so they are afraid of death

I am not afraid because I know that my new life will be an easy one in paradice death.”

The comment about the TV show refers to an incident during which someone called into the popular “The Jim Dunbar Show” claiming to be the Zodiac Killer, according to CNN.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.