Arnold Palmer has passed away at 87 years old

Source: Golf Digest | September 25, 2016 |
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #10244

Consistent #10245

EVERYDAY #10257

Mr. Palmer was a larger than life figure here in western PA. He had a lot to do with making golf popular around here. I can remember when golf was barely covered by our local radio and TV news. Now golf is everywhere. Even has its own channel. I don’t play, but several of my relatives are “Sunday duffers.” I believe Mr. Palmer had a lot to do with them taking up the sport.

While he was particularly known for his prowess on the golf course, around these parts, Mr. Palmer was also well known for his charitable and philanthropic endeavors. There is a children’s hospital in Orlando that bears his name. He also raised money to fight prostate cancer. He was also the kind of celebrity you could approach to shake hands or obtain an autograph. Nothing pompous about him. And he was good friends with many of his contemporaries on the golf course, as well as current stars of golf. No jealousy or childish behavior from Mr. Palmer, unlike many of today’s sports figures.

I’m going to miss Mr. Palmer. He was a real star in every sense of the word.

Rest in peace.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.