Beat him like a drum: Donald Trump must not just lose in November; to correct…

Source: New York Daily News | August 7, 2016 | Rick Wilson

Beat him like a drum: Donald Trump must not just lose in November; to correct the institutions he’s broken, he must suffer a humiliating defeat

It’s been a little over a year now. It’s been a year of spectacle and showmanship, fury and farce, demagoguery and disaster. A year in which Donald Trump’s con game tricked about 35% of Republicans into voting for him, before Vichy Republican leaders meekly bowed to his will.

The single worst major party nominee in modern history — a man who has no political core, lies practically every time he speaks and is patently unstable — reached this point because every leader and institution in my party, the Republican Party, has failed again and again to grapple with the grim realities of Trump’s impact on the election, the conservative movement and the character of our nation.

….

A growing number of Americans are coming to the realization that Trump is more than just a political train wreck; he’s a real threat to the nation, what with the fear of nuclear weapons and the sweeping power of the federal government in his tiny paws.

Those of us who believe, who know, that Trump is dangerous can’t just settle for him being beaten in November. We need to ensure that he is on the business end of a decisive, humiliating defeat — so that the terribly divisive forces he has unleashed are delivered a death blow.

….

As though his demagoguery hasn’t been poisonous enough already, now he needs his minions to believe that if and when he loses, it was because some nefarious conspiracy of state officials was sitting in dark rooms literally switching votes from Clinton to Trump.

….

But it means that, if there’s a loss by a slim margin in the popular vote or electoral college, millions of already embittered Americans, worked into a frenzy by a shameless leader who will surely refuse to accept the returns, will start the next four years convinced that the United States of America is little more than a banana republic — and the presidency of Hillary Clinton is irretrievably illegitimate.

That will be awful for the country.

The second reason Trump needs to fall hard in November is that the Party of Lincoln needs a complete, top-to-bottom reset — one that completely purges the Trumpkins who believe racial animus is a governing philosophy and that their ignorant and angry primal screams can ever build a Republican majority.

….

To begin to repair the damage done, they need to see not that their way almost succeeded, if only one or two states had broken differently. They must absorb the painful reality that their way cannot, will not, ever work again.

So when it’s over, Trumpkins, remember: You’re not purging us. We’re purging you.

….

They’re wrong — but only a resounding defeat will get it through their thick skulls.

The next necessary lesson that will only be learned if the defeat is painful relates to the right-wing media.

….

This year, with some notable exceptions, those journalists and media outlets sold themselves out for a ride on the Trump infotainment train. In previous years, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Matt Drudge and Fox News and the rest would have ripped Trump’s record apart.

….

While they’ve screamed at the top of their lungs for decades now about ideological purity, about the need for great candidates in the mold of Ronald Reagan and for a party that can sell its message to America, this year they objectively and overtly sold themselves for ratings and clicks when Trump came on the scene. I hope he left a nice tip on the nightstand.

The financial temptation to repeat this kind of mistake is so powerful, only profound embarrassment will prevent it from repeating.

Perhaps the most important reason Trump needs to suffer an epic loss is to destroy the aura around Donald himself.

….

He needs to be put as far into exile as is humanly possible so that the country can heal from the deep wounds he’s inflicted upon it.

I want to be clear here. As a principled conservative, I loathe the high likelihood that Hillary Clinton will — barring a bear attack or some other unforeseen externality — win this election.

….

However, Trump would be far worse. He’d be more dangerous to our safety and our republic. And since I know his loss is coming, I pray to God that it is total. You should, too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #9056

slhancock1948 #9066

I agree. I find it amusing that so many people (many conservatives among them) have said that they actually know Trump personally and he is nothing like this. So, what is he really doing? This is why I feel that he is destroying the republican party, which…let’s be honest, really needs destroying. Or he has promised to give the election to Hillary. He is doing both. Quite well, I must admit.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.